Today I’ll lay out the five habits that most successful Realtors have.
There’s a definite recipe that highly successful Realtors follow in their business. By forming these habits yourself, you’ll put your business on a path of modeling excellence. Here are five tips that will help you do just that:
1. Systems will set you free. I rebelled against this when I first started in the business because I’m naturally creative. I wasn’t sure that I wanted so much discipline and structure in my business, but you know what I found? I found that that phrase is so true. Systems will absolutely set you free. At RE/MAX Realty Affiliates, we teach a complete agent development system where you’ll have a system for everything—you’ll have a system for when you go out of town, for how you manage your money, for how you generate and convert leads, and for how you service clients. Everything will be organized and structured in your business so that you can have more time to do the things that you enjoy.
2. Overcome the Superman Syndrome. One of the most rewarding things in our business is the fact that we do get to save the day quite often. But when we’re just reacting to the crisis of the day, it takes our focus away from our vital activities. I’m not saying that you can’t step in and save the day, but it’s not the sole focus of your business. By having a strategy that allows you to manage your time and how you work with those transactional issues, you can not only have the reward of saving the day, but you’ll also have greater balance and flexibility in your business when you do it.
3. Look for leverage. You only have 24 hours in a day, the same amount of time as everybody else. When you reach a certain level in your business, you’ll feel like you don’t have enough time to get everything done. Well, guess what? You don’t. In order for you to gain more time, you have to leverage yourself through others. We talk about the structure of leverage in an agent’s business and how you progress at certain levels of productivity. We have a full system for teaching agents how to step into leverage so they can gain more balance and control in their life.
4. Manage your focus. In our industry, we’re constantly talking about how busy we are. My coach once told me, “If you sit there and constantly talk about how busy you are, all you’re telling me is that you’re not focused.” That was eye-opening, and I’ll never forget it. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a look at your focus and ask yourself a couple of questions:
a. “What do I need to say no to? What do I need to stop doing?”
b. “How could this be easy?”
We’re often taught that, in order to validate our work, we have to work hard. But that’s not necessarily the case. If you start asking yourself better questions, you’ll get better answers. Asking yourself those two questions will help you refocus and hopefully get out of the cycle of feeling overwhelmed.
5. Build your knowledge bank. Are you using yesterday’s strategies to propel your business in today’s market? If you are, it’s probably time to go back and re-educate yourself. Real estate is definitely a business concerned with the fundamentals, but if you’re an agent who already has an established book of business, you probably already have those fundamentals down. What you need, however, are today’s strategies that agents are using to propel their business forward. That’s something we focus on here at RE/MAX Realty Affiliates—making sure that we’re using today’s methods, not yesterdays.
6. BONUS HABIT: Take immediate action. Successful agents don’t wait. It’s one thing to fill up your brain with all the ideas in the world, but if you don’t implement those ideas, you’re not going to get to that next level.
If you’re looking to take your business up a notch—perhaps you want more time off, or you want to produce more—then give me a call. We’ll take a look at where you are now and I’ll give you the tools and strategies that you need to get you there.